Announcing a new resource:
Thirty-one songs addressing the climate crisis of ecology and justice
About this project: We have been working together for a year and a half to create and offer congregations a singing response to the degrading of the planet. Based on conversations with a variety of folks, and listening to what’s missing in our corporate songbag, we’ve written a set of songs and hymns that address the many faces of the climate crisis, including its links to injustice in other forms. These songs, all meant to be sung in community, name our fears, lift up our hopes, dream about our future, and renew our commitment to walking lightly on this wonderful planet.
The songs range from full length hymns to short refrains intended to be used in an antiphonal style, alternating with spoken prayers, litanies and poems.
Recording Credits: Thanks to all the wonderful and generous musicians, readers and friends who contributed to the recordings.
- Singers: Mary Preus, Andrea Sorum, Sarah Preus, Nate Crary , Conie Borchart, Robin Nelson, Liza Johnson, Kathy Pino, Ray Makeever, Paul Andress, Sam Bruxvoort Colligan, Trish Bruxvoort Colligan
Gabe Martin-Hiner, Micky Martin-Hiner, Richard Bruxvoort Colligan, Bret Hesla
- Readers: Catherine Malotky, Larry Dittberner, Gabe Martin-Hiner, Micky Martin-Hiner, Ev Blobaum, Trish Bruxvoort Colligan, Sam Bruxvoort Colligan, Richard Bruxvoort Colligan, Bret Hesla
- Piano: Tom Witt
- Accordion: Jonathan Rundman
- Other instruments: Richard Bruxvoort Colligan, Bret Hesla
Let’s work together: We hope you can find ways to …
- Sing the songs: These are songs meant for group singing–in worship, in community gatherings.
- Create liturgies and share them: Maybe you can find ways to string two or more of them together into a longer liturgy or program. Let us know what you come up with, and we’d love to share it with others.
- Find related readings: Many of the short songs are designed to be interspreced with quotes/readings. The songs are flexible, and can support readings in a variety of themes,. We inserted some sample readings and prayers to
intersperse with the shorter songs, to model how to use them. You will have other ideas for readings addressing topics important to you. Let us know what you come up with, and we’d love to share it with others.
- Give us feedback: new verses, other songs that need to be written