I’ve Got a Date for Dinner
1. When the Thursday sun sinks low in the west
Like a big glob of butter on hot cornbread
Then I’m happy,
‘Cause I know I’ve got a date for dinner.
Yes, you heard me right, every Thursday night
All the neighbors get together for a meal.
2. When you hear the gravel cruchin’ as the car’s roll in
Like walnuts underneath a rolling pin…
3. I know Bob’s arrived ‘cause the Pinto’s here
My right hand’s chilly just thinking about a beer…
Cheese and macaroni, Chicken caccatori
And chili without any meat
& if your life is pallid, Try the Caesar’s salad
“Whoa, that garlic’s got teeth!”
4. Everybody’s frazzled overscheduled tight.
The only time we get to talk is Thursday night…
5. Jaimie’s makin’ chicken, I can always tell.
Feels like home when I smell that smell…
Oscar’s squallin’, Kobi’s bawlin’
And Rosie is climbin’ my back.
Devin clammers, Sam’s got a hammer.
“Quiet down kids,
‘cause I can’t hear Jack.”
7. It’s not a bring your own and it’s not potluck.
Everybody eats and we rotate cooks…
6. Twelve years running without fail
Blizzards, washouts, flies and hail…
Words and music by Bret Hesla.
© 1999 Bret Hesla. All rights reserved. Use with permission, please.
Licensed via OneLicense.net. Contact: Bret.firstname.lastname@example.org.
We were part of a weekly meal cook-share for 15 years running with three or four other neighbor households. When it was your week, you did everything: food shop, cook, set table, clean up. All the other weeks, you just show up and eat.