Thanks for doing the right thing and getting permission to use my songs! It helps me keep writing.
1. Permission – Sync Rights
If you want to do one of these:
- post a video recording of a live or virtual choir/ virtual ensemble performance of a single song to social media platforms (e.g. YouTube, Facebook, etc.) for non-commercial purposes.
- Stream a video online (not for permanent download) with a song playing in the background, using an original recording or a purchased recording of the song.
Then here’s the fee:
- if you have a OneLicense Podcast/Streaming License, just report as usual to them.
- if you don’t have that license, you can pay me directly – $15.00 per song per video per 6-month term, up to 3 years; or $100 flat fee per song per video for term greater than 3 years/in perpetuity.
Send payment either via PayPal, or snail mail a check to Bret Hesla, 3520 20th Ave. S; Minneapolis, MN 55407. USA
2. Permission to Make Copies or Project lyrics:
A. OneLicense: If you are with an organization that has a OneLicense agreement, all my songs are covered. Just follow that protocol. And don’t forget to tell them what you used so I actually get reimbursed.
B. Other Copyright Holder: For a few of the songs you’ll find on this website, you’ll notice that I do not administer (or hold) the copyright. In that case, please contact the copyright holder as indicated.
C. Otherwise, Three Easy Steps: For the rest of the songs, just follow these three steps:
- Include Credit Line: Be sure to include the credit line, as indicated, with each copy. For example: © [date] Bret Hesla. firstname.lastname@example.org. Used with permission.
- Calculate Fee: For any song, $0.10 per copy, or per participant if you’re projecting the song image or lyrics: with $5 minimum and $25 max.
- Send Payment: either via PayPal, or snail mail a check to Bret Hesla, 3520 20th Ave. S; Minneapolis, MN 55407. USA